The artist collective I am part of here in Waterloo, Uptown Gallery, is having a new exhibition!
I am a featured artist in the next exhibition, Spring’s Awakening!
Spring’s Awakening runs May 15th to July 8th, at Uptown Gallery in Waterloo, 75 King Street South.
The opening will be Sunday May 20th, 2-4 pm.
Also, a reminder that FLASHBACK/FASTFORWARD at the Living Arts Centre is still on until May 20th and my exhibition at the Flea Market in St. Catherine’sis up for a while longer as well.
This is a commission that I just finished… based on an old abandoned prairies house.
I am showing one of my new works in the upcoming exhibition at the Living Arts Centre. The opening is March 28th – hope to see you there!
Artwork by Jennifer Akkermans.[/caption]
As 2017 comes to a close, I’m thinking about all the things I’ve done this year, and what’s already in the works for next year.
Highlights of the year:
- I had four of my artworks in an exhibition at Pier 21 in Halifax and got to meet my family in Nova Scotia to do a bit of travelling and go to the opening. I was able to visit with an old friend while I was there.
- I am currently an Artist in Residence at the Living Arts Centre in Mississauga, which allows me access to an amazing woodshop space and encourages me to make the most of my studio time and go regularly. I am the most productive than I’ve been since grad school, which feels really great.
- The other factor of my recent productivity is that I have completed a grant project from the Region of Waterloo to make six mechanical sculptures (and have learned a LOT in the process). Stay tuned as I will share images and videos of the project!
- I have opened up some avenues to offer my work for sale, including here on my website, as well as at Open Sesame, and in the gift shop at the Living Arts Centre.
- I have become a member of Uptown Gallery here in Waterloo and am getting to know some new artists.
- I have resurrected my newsletter and am enjoying the conversations that are happening because of it.
- Last but not least, I’m loving hanging out with the fur ball in my apartment, my lovely little orange kitty, Tickie. She’s crawling all over me as I write this. 🙂
And a personal highlight, I got to go home for a bit in the summer, to go to the wedding of a couple of my best friends.
Things to look forward to in 2018:
- Showing my work in the Installation Zone at The Artist Project in February – Eek!
- Documenting and sharing the new artwork I’ve been working so hard on to finish…. automata!
- Continuing to make new work as a resident artist at the Living Arts Centre, including an upcoming Resident Artist exhibition!
- And I’ve got a few other things in the works (that I’m not ready to share yet… but soon)!
All the best to all of you in 2018!
Canada Day One is now open at Pier 21!
The exhibition runs March 18 – November 12, 2017. The opening reception will be April 11. If you’re in Halifax, be sure to check it out!
Special thanks to the Ontario Arts Council for their support!
The exhibition runs January 4th to February 20th, with an opening reception on January 17th (7-9pm). The other artists in the show are:
These are photos from the recent exhibition I was part of at InterAccess in Toronto. Photos are care of InterAccess (TO); photographer: Natalie Logan, 2016.